Sunday, November 15, 2020

been wondering if your heart's still open, and if so, i wanna know what time it shuts

 Today was a delight. I stayed in bed until nine, which went a long way toward restoring me. Then I decided to make good use of the fact that it was nice for the first time in a week - instead of writing, I made some coffee, took a luxurious shower (luxury = shaving AND washing my hair on the same day), made an omelette, and generally practiced self-care for awhile. Then Katie came over - it was just nice enough to sit outside and stay six feet apart, especially since the sun was shining and I had a tank top / long sleeved shirt / sweatshirt + winter-weight leggings + uggs. We didn't eat anything, but I drank a lot of coffee and Katie drank whatever sparkling water beverages she'd brought with her, and we talked about a variety of subjects, and it was perfectly lovely.

Katie left around one, and I had some leftover thai food for lunch, took care of some tings around the house, and then ran an errand in Cherry Creek. I'd ordered some more Crate and Barrel stuff (they are getting most of my money during the pandemic -- but they're probably behind Athleta, since I keep buying leggings / joggers in an effort to cozy my way out of any malaise), and so I went and picked it up at their curbside delivery station. Then I came straight home, since the grocery store on a Sunday afternoon is not where I want to be even during non-pandemic times - I could use a few things, but none of it was pressing, so I'll sneak out some weekday afternoon or break down and get it delivered.

When I got home, I immediately started making an unnecessarily elaborate dinner - I was in the mood to make the Barefoot Contessa's boeuf bourguignon, which I used to make occasionally for dinner parties but haven't made in at least 5-7 years since I a) no longer have dinner parties and b) have too many friends who don't eat beef. It takes close to three hours, but it's worth it - very luscious beef cubes, a lot of bacon, a lot of onion, some carrots, and a whole lot of mushrooms. It also calls for an entire bottle of wine, and you also add 1/2 c of cognac and burn it off (which adds some flavor / char to the veg). All in all, it's delicious, and it's even better on top of mashed potatoes (which I seem to have perfected in my new stand mixer).

So, by the time it was done, I was pretty much in heaven - and I am v. much looking forward to leftovers. While it was cooking, I talked to my parents, who were kind enough to interrupt their viewing of a John Wayne movie for the fifteenth time this year to talk to me (thanks guys!). And after I was done eating, I cleaned up my kitchen, instagrammed my cooking adventure, and generally procrastinated until now.

And now it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: