Monday, November 23, 2020

you grow up, grow old, or you hit the road 'round here

I'm on vacation, and I made pretty good use of it today. I slept in, which was good for me, but I still had time to make coffee, journal, shower, eat breakfast, etc. before heading to Colorado Springs to see my friend Barbara. Due to this pandemic situation, we had a socially distanced hangout - in any other year, I would not have driven an hour to hang out in someone's backyard when it was only ~50 degrees, but this is not any other year. So we sat outside for three hours, appropriately spaced, and it was a delight to see her. We commiserated on how deeply we both want to travel, discussed writing and life, daydreamed about Venice, etc., and I could have stayed forever...

...but it was, as I mentioned, fifty degrees, so even after I put on my coat it was eventually time to call it quits. I drove back to Denver and hit a bit of rush hour, but I was listening to Brene Brown's podcast with Dolly Parton, who is a total badass, so that got me through. When I got home, I dealt with the latest pile of #treatyoself boxes that had shown up on my front porch, put away some laundry, took out trash, etc. Then I tried a new recipe for pad thai, but I wasn't very happy with how it turned out - I do not have a good sense for stirfries or rice noodle dishes because they're not something I usually make, and so while this was promising, I ended up overcooking the noodles (after thinking I was undercooking them), and the overall dish was a little too dry. Since there was gluten in some of the sauce, which I usually pretend not to know because it's just a little bit, this was probably not worth it since the overall dish wasn't amazing. I might try again with a slightly different technique - the flavor was pretty good, it just didn't finish quite right.

sssanyway, that was a bit disappointing. Then I cleaned up, sat around and did nothing [I've been off twitter for almost 48hrs and I'm jonesing for a fix, but there is no methadone for twitter withdrawal, so I just stared off into space instead], and then journaled for an hour. And now I think I'm going to pick up a book and crawl into bed to read until I fall asleep - goodnight!

No comments: