Tuesday, November 24, 2020

ain't it hard keeping it so hardcore

Today was terrific, if you ignore the pandemic, which I mostly did. I slept way later than I had planned, since my body has apparently decided that vacation means catching up on vast quantities of sleep. I awoke to find the world blanketed in a few inches of snow, which was v. beautiful but also meant that I didn't go anywhere today - not that that's different from most days, but I would have taken a walk if it had been nicer. Then I made some fried eggs to go with some leftover black beans for a quick breakfast, lazed about with coffee and my journal, and generally contemplated life (and stayed off Twitter for the third full day in a row, which means this is the longest I've been completely off Twitter since my silent retreat in Bali almost four years ago). I had some leftover steak and a twice baked potato for lunch, lovingly cleaned and oiled my cast iron wok from last night's pad thai misadventure, took an extended shower, and could very well have done a whole lot of nothing after that...

...but instead I wrote for three or four hours over the afternoon/early evening, which was wondrous. And I ordered delivery Indian food so that I wouldn't break up my mojo by cooking. And when I was done writing, I finished the book I had started in bed last night - I read MIDNIGHT LIBRARY by Matt Haig, and I think I liked it. The main character goes on extended tour of lives she might have lived, and it was cute and fun and very bittersweet, and while it's not at all in the vein of what I've been reading, it was great for yesterday/today.

And now I'm going to go to bed, unless I get lured into starting another book - goodnight!

No comments: