Saturday, August 29, 2026

bitter taste of time wasted, a tickle in your throat

Wednesday I slogged with no notable updates, so I didn't blog.

Thursday I also slogged, with mixed results since I was quite productive Wednesday and hit the expected wall on Thursday. So I snuck out around five to run to the pharmacy - and while I was out and about, I decided to take an impromptu trip to Lineville to see the new mural. The old mural was destroyed in a derecho and/or tornado last year, and it took a year for us to get it replaced. But we were able to get an exact replica from the artist who designed the original, and we were able to install it on the new fire department building (after much negotiation). I'm pleased to say it looks perfect in its new location, and I got some good photos to update the website with - driving down when I did meant that I hit golden hour, which made for some good images.

After that, I came home and grilled some steaks, which turned out quite well considering they had been sitting in the back of my freezer and were fifteen months old. But I don't think you could tell that they had aged that long, and the protein did me good. I was finishing eating when [censored] showed up, and so we talked for quite awhile before I decided it was time to go to bed.

Friday was more of the same - a lot of slogging, but nothing too ridiculous. I took a 'break' in the afternoon to clean my oven (not really a break), and then I stopped work around five so that I could make dinner for Mom and [censored]. I was in the mood for something a little more elaborate and also had ingredients that needed to be used, so I made prosciutto-wrapped chicken breasts stuffed with bacon and goat/cream cheese, which is always excellent. I also made mashed potatoes, so it felt fairly decadent. And it was nice to hang out with Mom and [censored], who seemed to forgive me for dinner being ready later than planned.

Today, I had a million things to do, and so of course I spent some of the time hanging out with [censored] in various yards that I own, investigating various tings. We were able to find one lot pin at my newest acquisition, but despite having a v nice metal detector and a surveying wheel and a 200' measuring tape, we were not able to find the others. However, I have a generally good idea of where the boundaries are, so I'll take it. We (and by 'we' I mean [censored] cut through some drywall to inspect whether a potential remodel idea would work (verdict: not without work). I need to get cracking on my remodel, but it's somewhat daunting, especially considering that I'm not a DIY'er and have little desire to become one.

So after all that, [censored] and I both took long breaks to eat and watch various videos regarding various ideas. Then I spent the afternoon doing laundry, cleaning, tending to the garden, and generally getting organized. I took a break this evening to eat dinner and watch the latest episode of 'Stuart Fails to Save the Universe' with [censored], and then I continued doing various tasks until now.

But now I need to go to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: