Friday, August 21, 2026

we were talking to the sunset, throwing dreams against the wall

I had a v nice day, mostly because I decided to take it off. I had intended to get up and at 'em early, but I wasn't feeling a hundred percent, so I slept in a bit and then took my time with my cold brew and some chatting with [censored]. I also did some pantry reorganizing in preparation for a massive restock, and I took care of various tings around the house. 

Eventually, though, I drove to Des Moines - I decided to go to the state fair, which I hadn't been to since before the pandemic. It was a bit of a speed run since it was crazy hot and I was just trying to hit the highlights - but I got an egg on a stick from the egg producers, saw the butter cow, hit up varied industries, checked out the dwindling 4-H exhibits, saw the Big Ram that might set a Guinness record for biggest ram ever, tasted some Iowa wines, and had some excellent gluten free fair food - namely a gf lobster corn dog and some birria pupusas, both of which were quite tasty. 

Eventually, though, I was too hot and tired to continue, so I got to my hotel, napped a bit, showered, and had a late order of fries and a glass of rosé to close the day. And now it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: