Sunday, September 13, 2009

local minima

I'm spending way too much time watching tv - and in fact, told Adit as he walked out the door tonight that I had no interest in watching the "60 Minutes" episode that he tee'd up for me, so that I could instead watch the last part of "King Arthur". Yes, "King Arthur" -- the movie that was so bad that it ended my movie-watching relationship with multiple friends, since I somehow managed to convince upwards of ten people to see it with me and no one (not even myself) liked it. But, if nothing else that gives me a certain amount of nostalgia for the good old days, which is why I was somewhat eager to watch Clive Owen and a bunch of dirty Saxons fighting each other.

Today was another fairly lazy day; I did leave at some point in the afternoon to buy a few groceries, but other than that I stayed holed up in the apartment. I spent the morning watching tv, then spent the afternoon and early evening working on stuff for the day job. It was unfortunate and regrettable, but it will make tomorrow much smoother even if it won't make this week any easier. I think I'm in a local minima because things with both the day job and the book are in flux; the day job is taking its toll on my ability to write, and my ability to write is hampered by constant thoughts about the status of my first book and questions about where to take my second book. I know that I really just need to throw myself back into it and knock out a first draft, but that's hard when all I want to do is indulge my local minima for awhile.

No more whining though -- I'm going to pick myself up tomorrow and move on, even if that just means spending half an hour after work drinking coffee and reading more about honing my writing craft. And if that doesn't work, I can always buy shoes. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Not Applicable said...

at least you're not at a global minimum - then i'd start worrying. that's the only crap movie i would have watched w/ you as lancelot is quite smoking.
- tammy