Monday, September 07, 2009

take control of the atmosphere

Tomorrow is not looking good -- while tomorrow would have been much, much worse if the Bay Bridge had collapsed shortly after they reopened it, I'm still not happy that it will be closed for another day. It actually wasn't so bad for me when it was closed on Friday -- but I left for work early, drove south to Santa Cruz after work instead of back to the evil city, and I think a lot of employers encouraged working from home or people took Friday off to make a four-day weekend. Tuesday is a whole 'nother kettle of fish, particularly since some people may not hear about the bridge closure. So, my plan is to leave for work really early, and come back really late, and hope for the best!

Anyway, today was extremely sloth-filled. I slept in, took a long shower, got myself all gussied up, and packed up my laptop to go out in search of a cafe -- only to find that the cafe I wanted to go to was closed. So, I stocked up on groceries, came home, and made the lunch I wanted to have -- bread, brie, grapes and honey. I spent the afternoon pretending to write, then downloading a program called Scrivener. Scrivener was one of the reasons I initially started thinking about getting a Mac; it's a fantastically well-designed tool for writers, which enables you to track scenes and chapters using "notecards", which you can then drag around if you want to rearrange segments of the manuscript. You can also track which draft you're in, and at the end of it all, compile it and export it into a Word-compatible document. I played around with it all night, and I'm in love; I think it will help me to get back into Madeleine and Ferguson's story, since going through the process of creating notecards for the scenes I already have is helping me to see what's happened so far and giving me ideas for where I want to go.

Now, though, I should wrap up a couple of things for work tomorrow -- goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does the Romance Writers Association have a category for being in love with technology? Sara and Mac may be in my next novella. "They met in aisle three of the computer store . . ."