Tuesday, September 29, 2009

wedding bells ain't gonna chime with both of us guilty of crime

My back really hurts. I blame a combination of factors: 1) my commute, in which I contort myself and carry too much stress in my back; 2) Adit's couches, which are substantially less comfortable than mine; 3) my anger over Adit's couches, which makes me even more stressed and tense; 4) the fact that if I'm turning into a hermit, I also need to develop the pained, hunched back on which to carry my bundle of sticks around while looking for firewood to heat my meagre cave.

Or maybe it's just annoyance, pure and simple. The last two weeks have felt like the longest two weeks in a long time; there has been a swirling maelstrom of change around me, and it's hard to live in a state of complete and constant flux while also being held to deadlines that were set in the non-flux world. I'm hoping, though, that I can clear a space in all the confusion and write all weekend, which will go a long ways toward restoring my faith. Also, while I'm sad to be giving up my team, I did take some pleasure in removing all future team-related meetings from my calendar, which cleared the overgrown thicket of meetings on my calendar and opened up substantial amounts of white space. It will get filled soon enough, but for a couple of weeks, at least, I'm hoping for just the slightest breather.

Today was uneventful, but I wanted to attend virtually none of the meetings that were scheduled, and so it was hard to push myself through the day. However, I did have a quick lunch with Joy, which was entertaining; the big boss joined us briefly, which was unexpected. Amusingly, when she saw us together she asked if we were plotting a coup -- and the answer was probably yes, although we of course feigned innocence. Then, just as the big boss left, Irish Matt showed up, and so I spent twenty minutes with him; he's in town for the week, although it sounds like we won't get a chance to spend an evening together, which is good for my fragile and still-recovering post-wedding liver. We're going to have coffee Thursday afternoon, though, so at least I'll get to catch up with him a bit more then.

After work, I went to Target, where I spent way too much time shopping; I have to dress like an 80s rocker tomorrow, and I had no idea what to buy. I ended up with a super oversized sweatshirt that I cut the neck out of, a short denim skirt to wear over some lurid pink tights, some scrunchy socks, and a gaudy headband that will look good with the ultra-teased hairstyle that I intend to create. So, tomorrow is the chance to pull out my teal eyeshadow and my blue mascara -- but I'm working out of SF, which means taking the MUNI to work, which means walking around in public with that getup. I can't wait -- Tammy would be so ashamed to be seen with me.

I got home around 8:30 and have worked since then, but now it's time to go to bed so that I can get up and blowdry the hell out of my hair. Goodnight!

1 comment:

riturani said...

i am a really big fan of item no. 4. i can see you now, scrounging for firewood, evading the homeless schizophrenics in the park who would try to steal it... ah good times sara, good times.