Sunday, September 06, 2009

i wish i could buy back the woman you stole

Today was, for the most part, a completely lazy day. I did get out of bed by 8:30, which is rather early for a lazy day, but I proceeded to squander the rest of it.

Actually, I didn't squander it -- I just didn't write, which is a problem since I want to have a first draft completed by the end of October and so every weekend day is precious. Instead, I spent the morning transferring files from my old laptop to my new MacBook (verdict so far -- I really like it, except I'm having trouble getting used to the trackpad, particularly since it's so big that my hand naturally grazes it while I type). Then, I went shopping for a couple of hours; I dropped way too much money at Sephora, but luckily I had a lot of gift cards and so I didn't actually spend anything there. My mother actually mentioned later that she thought about getting me a Sephora gift card for my birthday but knew that I had a lot of them, so I had to confess that I blew more money at Sephora today than many women spend in an entire year (in my dubious defense, the gift cards encouraged me to make purchases I wouldn't usually make, like two perfumes; not in my defense, the tinted moisturizer that I swear by is embarrassingly expensive, and I bought two of them so that I could pretend that it was free). I also stocked up on tights, since winter is going to be here before we know it, and the thought of rocking some purple tights will make me almost excited for cold weather (at least for a day). Unfortunately, there was a shoe sale at Nordstrom; I bought three pairs, but upon further reflection, I'm going to take one pair back. I've been experimenting with my personal style and so attempting to branch out into areas I usually shy away from -- but I've decided that no matter how far I branch out, I will never be able to pull off 3" green suede platform mules, so they're going back in hopes that they will meet a nice girl who has questionable taste.

Before I went mad for makeup and shoes, I spent a delightful half hour browsing and dreaming in CB2 and Crate and Barrel. They're conveniently located around the block from each other, which meant that I could get a fix at both without breaking a sweat. CB2 is just a little bit too trendy modern loft-style for my tastes; while I like to have a couple of things that are a little edgier, my taste definitely runs much more toward the classics. However, I think that CB2 may have the solution to my current storage woes -- a 9-block wall shelf that can serve as cubbies for my makeup, sunglasses, and other small items that I need to either have out or risk forgetting to use. I'll likely sit it on the floor for the duration of my life in this apartment, since I can't hang it without blocking the lightswitch; but, when I'm in a place with more room, I can hang it above my desk to hold inks, papers, and photos. Perfect!

I spent a little over an hour on the phone with my parents; nothing particularly good happened for any of us in the past week, but nothing truly awful happened either (except, apparently, the closing of my parents' favorite restaurant in Des Moines; my mom mentioned it when I talked to her, and then my dad called me back five minutes after he and I said goodbye to see if mom had told me about the restaurant). After we caught up on the mundane humdrumness of our respective lives, I spent the evening tidying up the apartment, continuing to organize my laptop, and generally procrastinating. Granted, I procrastinated over a couple of pots of Russian Caravan tea, which made it better than if I was procrastinating over wine (or crack, given the drug of choice in my neighborhood), but still, I really need to get cracking tomorrow.

In the interest of making that happen, I'm done blogging for now -- goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Robin's Nest?