Tuesday, September 22, 2009

stuck in the middle with you

Today got off to a mostly inauspicious start. I had a 7:30am conference call, but because Adit had requested a ride to ye olde south bay this morning, I decided to take the call from home and then leave for work after, rather than making us both get up in time to leave by 6:15am so that I could drop him off before hustling to the office. This was a good decision at the time, but unfortunately traffic later in the morning was terrible, and so we didn't feel particularly efficient. Also, Adit, in his infinite wisdom, decided to make a point to me about how bad my musical tastes are, and so rather than playing one of the playlists on my iPod, he instead went through the library at random, only playing the first few bars of most songs before snorting over how bad they were and skipping them. It was more than a tad embarrassing; even though I really like my music, most of the iPod is filled with stuff I never listen to, and so there are a lot of songs that I agree aren't particularly good even if technically my ownership of them indicates support. Or maybe I'm just appeasing Adit and trying to pretend that I'm cool enough to hang out with him, which is likely never going to be the case, but I can try anyway.

After I dropped Adit off, I went to work, where I slogged fairly well through the end of the day. Tuesdays are my favorite, not because of what I do on Tuesdays (they're actually one of my least favorite in terms of quality/quantity of meetings), but because it's baked potato day at my favorite cafe. Even better, today they had kobe steak, which was totally delish, and so I had a nice fifteen minute lunch to myself in order to savor the taste of the midwest. Then, I slogged through the rest of the day before leaving at 5pm with my fellow California managers + Dave (in from Ann Arbor this week) for our traditional margaritas and pie event. It was fun, but it left me exhausted; I did a bit of brainstorming on my writing on the way home, but by the time I got here, put out a work-related metaphorical fire, and sat down to write, I was only able to get the notes from my brainstorm down before I began nodding off over my keyboard, so I think it's time for bed.

Still, though, I'm clearly in a much better place than I was yesterday; while it would still be wise to confiscate any sharp objects in my general vicinity, I wasn't so violently angry today, and sot hat's a positive step. Wish me luck keeping my temper under control -- hopefully sleep will help!

No comments: