Sunday, January 18, 2015

but everything looks perfect from far away

Today was somewhat lowkey, but perhaps not as lowkey as it should have been to effect my recovery. I slept pretty well until sixish, at which point I woke up at started coughing...but then I found an expired inhaler from the last time I had bronchitis, took a couple of hits, and promptly went back to sleep again. I felt somewhat okay this morning - this cold has been odd in that it went from sore throat straight to cough without any sort of nasal congestion in between. I mean, I'm not sad that I missed the nasal stage, but the sore throat and cough could go away anytime now, thanks.

Anyway, I took care of some email stuff, took a shower, and eventually left the house at 11:30 to grab breakfast/lunch down the street, since I didn't feel like cooking anything. Then I rendezvoused for this afternoon's plans - Lauren (aka Subz) picked up me and Terry, and we went to San Gregorio/Half Moon Bay to hang out on the beach. San Gregorio was awesome - I hadn't been in years, but I used to go there a lot when I was at Stanford, and I miss the place. We walked quite a ways up the beach, and the weather was perfect for it. Then we drove back north of Half Moon Bay and went to Moss Beach Distillery, where we had drinks on the patio next to the fire pits before eating dinner upstairs as the sun set over the ocean.

So that was all quite idyllic - so idyllic that I immediately forgave Lauren when it became clear that she has the same illness that I have, although hers showed up a day earlier than mine, and it's possible she gave it to me at dinner on Tuesday. So I'm glad I didn't cancel hanging out with her today in an effort to not get her sick, since it would have been wasted martyrdom. But we all spent some quality time catching up on life, etc., and it was awesome to spend some time by the water.

I could have spent more time on the water tomorrow since I got an invite to go sailing, but I decided to be prudent and turn it down in the interest of continuing to recover - six or eight hours of water/wind + general debauchery would probably be the death of me. So instead, I crawled into bed at seven and watched 'Iron Man 2'. And now I'm going to sleep and hope my cough subsides tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: