Friday, April 09, 2021

buddy of last resort

I’m typing this on my iPad because my laptop is in Iowa, so this will be brief. I had a decent day, mostly because it appears that the injury I hadn’t told you about isn’t actually serious. On Tuesday, at the airport, I started to run to catch an Uber, felt something pop in my leg, and was sure I had torn a tendon or something. So I spent the last seventy-two hours alternating between my bed and my chaise like a Victorian lady, albeit a Victorian lady with easy access to ice. I also panic ordered a compression sleeve and a fancy ice pack at 5am Wednesday for same day delivery, which helped. Thanks to constant application of ice, compression, elevation, and ibuprofen, I was in much better shape by today - I can basically walk on it and it doesn’t hurt at all when I’m sitting/standing, but I’m still being careful since I don’t want to strain it more. And I went to the doctor today and they confirmed that I didn’t tear anything and just told me to keep doing what I’m doing, so that’s all a relief.

Needless to say this has put a damper on my week - but I also can’t help but think that it was just my body insisting on a couple of days of couch / tv / early bedtime after all the stress of the last few weeks. It’s been kind of nice, all in all, to sit on my couch and order takeout and watch Top Chef. [speaking of Top Chef, I watched the second episode of the new season tonight, and it seems like this might be one of the most impressive and competitive seasons yet. I wonder how much of that is because so many amazing chefs had to shut down their restaurants last year and so were more willing / available to shoot a tv show in the pandemic?]

So, today was mostly consumed by working, taking care of myself, eating sushi for dinner, and watching Top Chef. You would think that I would have spent more time reading coverage of Prince Philip’s death, but I’m so tired of bad news that when I saw it this morning, I just kind of thought “that makes sense, too bad” and went on with my day. Still, it’ll be interesting to see how the stories play out over the next few days, since the brits are currently banned from having more than thirty people at a funeral and just his kids / grandkids get it up to twenty without adding great-grandkids, other relatives, etc.

That said, pretty much anything in the world is more important right now than this funeral, and I should probably rest, so it’s time to sign off. Goodnight!

No comments: