Saturday, April 24, 2021

i've got intrusive thoughts like burning my hair off

I had a pretty nice day in ye olde Iowa, even if I've already hit my yearly quota of Saturdays in Iowa before we're officially a third of the way through the year. When I woke up this morning, I made iced coffee and chilled, and then made myself some huevos rancheros for breakfast. I had the house to myself for approximately the twenty minutes it took to make and halfway eat them (parents were at the hospital for my dad's daily antibiotics, and [censored] was off being [censored]), and then Aunt B showed up to hang out for the day. [censored] returned at some point too, so the three of us chatted until my parents came home.

At that point, my dad conned me into making chocolate chip chewies, so I did that while hanging out with them in the kitchen. Then I left Aunt B and Dad to their devices and spent some quality time organizing my supplies and cleaning the downstairs kitchen (yes we have two kitchens, but I never cook downstairs beyond making coffee because it's not really stocked for cooking). At some point I took a drive and dropped trash off at my dad's shop in town (yes we have a private dumpster, don't you?) - it was a gorgeous day, and it was nice to get out in it for a bit.

Then I came home, put fresh sheets on my bed, finally showered, and then went to pick up take out for dinner. As you know if you're a regular reader, we usually get takeout from the Mexican restaurant in town because it's a) delicious and b) four miles away. But my mom was in the mood for prime rib, which is our alternative takeout option - it's fifteen miles each way, if you take the most direct route that involves cutting across seven or so miles of gravel roads before getting to pavement. As I said, it was a lovely day for a drive, so I didn't mind - and the end result was that I got prime rib for dinner, so that was pretty satisfying.

After dinner, I hung out in the kitchen with my parents and made some egg muffin things for breakfast for the next few days. Then I came downstairs and sat in my gram's recliner and did a crossword puzzle, so I guess I'm officially old. And now it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: