Saturday, May 01, 2021

they know your name and they know what you're about

I'm sitting in a motel in Lexington, Nebraska - a town in which I've never stayed before and may never stay again. Usually I would stay in Kearney, or push on to North Platte. But when I got to Kearney, my usual place was full and most other places were too, so I made a reservation for a room in Lexington instead. This is a strange town for the rural midwest - when I looked at restaurants (before settling on a takeout casey's pizza bc it was almost 10pm and that was easiest), I was shocked by how many different cuisines Lexington has for its size, including (apparently) Ethiopian, and also several taquerias that were open super late. I guessed there must be a big meatpacking plant or other job source nearby to make those restaurants successful, and I'd say I was right.

So at least I saw something new on this trip, even if it's not that exciting. Yesterday was a bit stressful with my dad's appointment in Des Moines, but they're home and hopefully things will improve. Today I decided I needed to go back to Colorado for at least a few days to check on my sprinklers and yard stuff, so I packed some tings in my car, ran some errands, talked to my parents and [censored], and said my farewells. I didn't leave until almost three, so I knew I would spend the night somewhere, but I'll get home tomorrow with time to clean (or at least decompress before working Monday). I'll go back to iowa in a week or two, but it will be nice to see my house for a bit.

And now I need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: