Sunday, August 12, 2018

you moved to west LA or new york or santa fe

Due to the new car situation, I actually got up relatively early and left the house to explore a bit of Colorado, rather than playing Civilization and pretending to write like I usually do. I headed up to Rocky Mountain National Park - I knew it would be busy on a peak summer weekend, but I also wanted to get out and enjoy some mountainous views, so I decided to chance it.

All in all, it was a lovely drive - even the drive from Boulder to Estes Park is pretty great, and then the park itself is amazing. I had planned to do a loop, have lunch in Grand Lake, and come back to Boulder via Golden. However, right before I got to the continental divide, traffic came to a sudden stop - and stayed stopped. I heard from someone who passed by that there was a medical emergency and they were trying to land a helicopter in the parking lot at the visitor center. I was desperately in need of a bathroom (since I was planning to use the bathroom at the visitor center), and also did not plan at all for this trip and so had water but no food (since I intended to make it to Grand Lake in time for lunch).

So, I executed a somewhat fear-inducing three point turn (okay, maybe it was a five point turn) on the edge of a cliff and went back the way I came. This meant no continental divide, but it also meant that I didn't urinate all over my new car, so I felt like I made the right decision.

I made it back to Estes Park without incident, grabbed McDonald's for lunch, and sped back to Boulder. Then I talked to my parents - they had the usual things with round barns and work stuff going on, but unfortunately they also had very sadly lost their kitten, whom they had raised over the winter and who had kittens of her own six weeks ago. She disappeared Friday night, and whatever got her was quick, because they found her via the circling of buzzards :( [Censored] told me yesterday, and it was v. sad since she was super sweet. Hopefully some of her kittens make it, but we'll see.

After I talked to my parents, I took a lyft to the Audi dealership and picked up the RAV4 (absence did not make the heart grow fonder, especially since I've moved on to a sexy new mistress). Then I grabbed groceries, came home, at supper, and messed around online until now. And now I'm going to go to bed early and plan to get up and write in the morning - hold me to it. Goodnight!

No comments: