Sunday, August 05, 2018

fireside favourite

I had another lazy day, but it was more social than yesterday, so at least I have that going for me. I slept in a bit, and I spent the morning taking care of stuff around the house before making a v. tasty omelette and talking to [censored]. I also played just a bit of Civilization in the afternoon - not enough to satisfy the urge (or to finish the game), but I enjoyed it. And I talked to Terry for an hour and my parents for another hour, so that was a great amount of catching up with people even if it's through technology rather than face-to-face.

After that, I really just wanted to play Civ some more - but I had dinner plans with a coworker who just flew into town, so I rallied, put on a dress, and left the house. As I was getting ready, I reflected on how Sunday family dinner used to be a thing - both when I was young and it was actually my family (and it was lunchtime), and when I was less-young-but-still-younger-than-now and it was 'family time' Sunday evening gatherings at places like My Tofu House or Enjoy Vegetarian, where we mostly low-key harassed each other about our life choices. And as I was reflecting on that, I was considering whether/how to make the kind of networks here that would allow for that kind of social interaction....but I digress.

So I picked up Navin at his hotel, and then we went to Arcana, which I've been meaning to try for ages. It has exactly the hipster-instagrammable aesthetic that restaurants are expected to have now - the bartender in a denim shirt, the cool art and interesting lighting, the play with color and texture, etc. If you go to this kind of place, you know what I mean; if you don't, it looks pretentious as hell. Anyway, we sat on the patio - it was a perfect night for it, which meant we ended up lingering for 2.5 hours. Longer than I had planned, but totally worth it. The food was really tasty - we shared a bunch of small plates, and almost all of them were great. I pretended to like radishes since radishes with French butter and sea salt are all the rage (yes, I live a v. different life than I pictured when eating roasts at Sunday dinners in my youth). And these radishes were all right - probably heirloom, more carrot-shaped than round, and while I didn't like them, I slathered them in enough butter to survive.

But the tastiest thing was the thing I shouldn't have eaten - smoked trout on toast, and you'll just have to trust me when I say every bite was fucking delicious. We also had a mushroom salad with tasty mushrooms, various greens, and a perfectly poached egg. And we had some other dishes that were all tasty but not worth repeating. We also talked about Stanford - he's the only person I've met who also lived in Loro, Mirlo, and CastaƱo, although he was five years after me. And we of course went deep on our current reorg, which is always gratifying.

But eventually I had to call it quits - I had to do just a tiny bit of work tonight, so I came home and did that. And now I need to go to bed so I can seize the day tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: