Sunday, August 26, 2018

pardon me i'm bossin' up, pressure up

I probably shouldn't have stayed up until three a.m. last night, but today was a total delight despite being a little tired by the end of it. I got up in time to shower and throw some iced coffee in a mug before driving down to Castle Rock - it's about an hour from here with no traffic, but that all felt blissful in my new car (did I mention that I got a new car? oh, I did? #sorrynotsorry).

My first stop was meeting my friend Barbara for lunch. We went someplace in an old church, and the food was a bit hit or miss (but unclear whether it was our fault for the ordering or their fault for the food - I liked my pasta, although it needed salt, but Barbara's kale salad was far too kale-y). But it was awesome to see Barbara - we hadn't hung out since RWA, which was less than six weeks ago, but it somehow feels like twenty. When I realize just how much I've had going on this summer, it's no wonder I'm exhausted....

Anyway, Barbara was great. We talked about all sorts of fun and important things, both past and current, and I was reminded just how much it nourishes my soul to hang out with other writers rather than always seeing my techie corporate types (no offense to you techie corporate types, of course, since I am also one of you).

But all good things must end, especially lunches, and so we eventually parted ways so that she could go back to Colorado Springs and I could continue with my Castle Rock adventures. I ended up hanging out in my car for an hour (did I mention I have a new car?) and talking to my parents, since it's Sunday and that's what Sundays are for. Then, I drove out to my aunt's house for an early dinner - she's in town this week to hang out at her Castle Rock house, and so I went there to see her for a bit.

So, we hung out for a couple of hours, eating cheese (yum) and then steak and Iowa sweet corn (even more yum, even if the sweet corn was a few days old - it's still one of the best things in the world). I'll be glad when she's actually in Colorado full time, provided that I don't pick up stakes and move on with my wandering nomadic heart (although that's unlikely - maybe I mentioned it, but I got a new car, and I'm also planning to buy a house in the next six months, so perhaps my withered roots will begin to grow).

But I eventually left down there, drove home, was going to do some work, and instead read about India on my phone and tried not to fall asleep too early (when I really should have just gone to bed at nine, but once I start researching something, I can't help myself). Now, though, I need to sleep - I want to write in the morning before work, and that requires some decent downtime now. Goodnight!

No comments: