Monday, August 06, 2018

seven nation army

I really should have gotten more work done today than I did - but I put in a full day, so while I wasn't maximally productive, I earned the v. dry, unhappy lunch that I ate. Yes, I am complaining about the free food - but it was suuuuuuper dry. Dry rice, dry green beans, dry tofu, and some v. dry pork (dried-out pork is a tragedy since pork can be so delish unless it's totally ruined). But, I did take time to eat with other people at lunch, during which I discovered that scuba divers have hand signals for different kinds of sea creatures, and also that one of the women on my team used to go to a boxing gym as a workout and ended up breaking three of someone's ribs. It's amazing the things I learn at lunch when I have time to hang out....

But at 5:20, I had to skedaddle - I had happy hour plans with my friend Dormain, whom I hadn't seen in forever. She lives in the dirty east bay (although her part of the east bay is actually quite clean) with her husband Anthony and their two kids; I know her through John/Jess/Anthony, since Anthony was John's high school friend and I've hung out with him on many fun occasions in adulthood.

In fact, looking through my blog to see what I said about them, I found this quote from early 2015 (the night of one of Jess's "Lieder Alive!" singing performances): "I also saw Anthony (the guy who threw me into a bush at Lauren's wedding), who now has long hair and looks a bit like he might be a vaguely famous European, and his wife Dormain, who is definitely pregnant." Heh.

So, the update is that Dormain is no longer pregnant, since her second kid was born after that. She was in town for work, and happy hour turned into a grazing sort of snacky dinner and lasted three hours, which was totally wonderful. We caught up on many many life tings, and also brainstormed my young adult book (she isn't a writer, but the conversation sparked some truly interesting ideas that I need to play around with). I hadn't spent quality alone time with her in forever, and I really enjoyed it - so hopefully she makes it out her again.

We parted ways around 8:30ish, and as I was walking to my car I randomly ran into some coworkers, so I grabbed some ice cream and talked about erotica with them, as one does. Then I came home and was lazy and did nothing, and now I need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: