Thursday, February 18, 2021

and the walls kept tumbling down In the city that we love

I had a very nice day, all things considered - it wasn't below zero outside, and there was some sun, and my mom made my favorite cheeseburgers and fried potatoes for dinner. I was also oddly productive at work - if you work with me and are reading this, I'm of course *always* productive, but today felt particularly so. I also journaled and drank coffee before starting my day, so all in all it was pretty decent.

My last meeting didn't end until 6:30, but at that point I was officially done and had no intention of picking work back up again. So I went upstairs, opened a bottle of wine, and enjoyed dinner with my parents. I hung out in the kitchen for a couple of hours after that; I couldn't talk my dad into playing canasta, but we at least had a nice lazy evening.

And now I think I'll read some more of FOUR LOST CITIES - I finished the chapters on Çatalhöyük, which was one of the earliest cities in the world (8000 years ago, in Turkey, where they had yet to discover roads and so built enough housing for 5000-10000 people as a sort of honeycomb of rooms with ladders up to rooftop exits). Next up is Pompeii, which ended in fire instead of slow decay, so I'm kind of excited about that. Goodnight!

No comments: