Tuesday, February 16, 2021

give all that you got on the sword

Today was a day for slogging - my mom and dad were at the hospital and [censored] went home last night, so I had the house to myself and no excuse to avoid the dreaded inbox for my day job. The sun was shining, which brightened my mood - sure, it was like -14 when I woke up, but at least the sun was reflecting back off the mountains of snow that have accumulated and will cause fresh new miseries when they finally melt.

So I slogged, with a break to have a v. delicious cobb salad for lunch. I also took a break for a horrifying moment when I managed to pull a three-inch-long hair out of my eye - I had a sudden burning pain in my eye this morning and when I looked in the mirror I couldn't find the usual eyelash. But when I pulled my eyelid back I thought I saw something...and sure enough, I managed to fish out a strand of hair that must have come from my bangs and somehow fully immersed itself in my eye. This is truly a portent of the end times, even if all the snow and bitter cold aren't.

By 5:30 or so I was done with meetings, and then I watched a company meeting while doing last night's dishes (and took a break to talk to Aunt B). Then my mom came home and we ate leftover soup (with a side of leftover mashed potatoes as a vehicle for butter) and caught up on how my dad's day went. Then I did a bit more work, said goodnight, came downstairs, and have messed around until now.

But now it's time for bed, and by bed I mean thirty minutes of reading a book I started last night (FOUR LOST CITIES, which is about...four lost cities). Goodnight!

No comments: