Thursday, November 02, 2023

hanging by a moment here with you

I had a wonderful day in Colorado - so wonderful that I almost regret cutting my trip short, but I decided to get out of here tomorrow so I can spend the weekend dealing with my basement HVAC situation. I woke up this morning, showered, grabbed some coffee, packed, and checked out in time to meet Morganne for lunch at The Kitchen. We've known each other for ages (she was on my team in 2008), and I always love catching up with her. And my halal chicken sandwich was absolute perfection, so that was a good way to end my time in Boulder. I actually mostly hate that city and have finally accepted that to be the case, but Morganne and the Kitchen are wonderful.

Then I drove to Denver, with a stop at H Mart to pick up many packets of rice noodles for pad Thai + better jasmine rice than I can get in Iowa. When I got here, I checked into my hotel, spent literally seven minutes here, and then took an Uber to LoHi. I met up with Alex at Lady Jane (one of my old haunts) - she was on my team for three days a million years ago, but we've stayed in touch, and I was delighted to find out that she recently left our mutual former employer under similar circumstances to mine (voluntarily and long overdue). We caught up and compared notes, and it was great.

Then I was supposed to meet Katie for dinner, but she is sick, and I'm v depressed that we won't see each other this time. But I had a plan b (who didn't feel like a plan b because they hadn't responded to me until last night and didn't expect me to be free). I ended up at Bar Dough with Andy and Nina, which delighted me - I missed seeing them when I was here in May, and they are some of my favorite people here. So we caught up, and Andy's stories about what I left behind didn't stress me out too badly, and it was so great. Then we came back to Wildflower for a nightcap, which I highly recommend.

And now, I must sleep so I can face the long dark of Nebraska tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: