Sunday, June 17, 2018

the petrified forest

I'm still in Glenwood Springs, but the weekend is drawing to a close and I just had to do a couple of hours of work, so I guess it's back to the grind tomorrow. But today was great - I got up and had breakfast downstairs, and then Heather (aka dear respected madam) and I went to Iron Mountain to play in their hot springs. Katie had recommended it, and she was totally right that I would enjoy it - a dozen or more small hot pools scattered over a delightfully landscaped area with a direct view of the Colorado River. The pools were between 99 and 107 degrees, with lots of natural minerals, and I felt like I was in the Old West attempting to recover from consumption.

So we sat around for a few hours, alternating between sitting in pools and lounging on chairs. I could have stayed all day, but unfortunately it started raining around the time we were ready to eat lunch. So we huddled under a canopy and ate along with everyone else who was trying to escape the downpour, and then we ended up coming back to the hotel.

When we got here, I showered, then spent some quality time talking to my parents (Happy Father's Day, Dad!), then generally hung out while Heather got a pedicure. Then we walked down the street and had dinner at The Pullman - I had a v. v. delicious Colorado bass with rice and mushrooms and tons of garlice, and a mediocre glass of wine, but the fish was good enough to make up for it. Then we came back to the hotel, hung out in the lobby for awhile, and then came upstairs, where we watched TV and I worked.

And now it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: