Monday, December 24, 2018

what if i'm far from home? oh [censored], i will hear you call

Merry Christmas Eve! Today was entirely full of family stuff, which has left me a bit exhausted. I didn't get quite as much sleep as I would have liked, but I got up in time to help my mom a little (I made the corn casserole, which was a real honor to be entrusted with such an important dish; I also peeled the potatoes, which is less glamorous, and did the dishes after everyone left, which is even less glamorous than that).

My sister's family came over today for our usual Christmas Eve festivities. There are a couple of little kids on that side now - my oldest niece has two kids (a nine year old and a one year old), and my nephew married a girl who has a three year old, so they were all super fun to hang out with. We did the usual Christmas dinner (at lunch, as per midwest tradition), then opened presents, and then watched the three year old dance around until it was time for everyone to leave. All in all, it was a lovely afternoon.

After they left, I did the aforementioned dishes, and then [censored] and I wrapped presents, which is our other Christmas Eve tradition. I also DJ'd our wrapping session, which was entertaining; we discovered that we often like the same songs for different reasons, since I tend to notice the flute-like melodies and [censored] notices the bass lines (not entirely unreasonable, since I played flute and [censored] played tuba in high school). Also, I showed [censored] the totally ridiculous music video for Annie Lennox's "Walking on Broken Glass" (starring John Malkovich and Hugh Laurie), and [censored] one-upped me with the also-ridiculous "Rock Me Amadeus" video. When your family starts to get you down during the holidays, do yourself a favor and watch those videos. It's the best gift Santa could give you.

And now I should probably sleep - Christmas morning is almost here. Goodnight!

No comments: