Monday, December 31, 2018

i trace the faith to a broken down television and put on the weather

Happy New Year's! I'm writing this at 12:36am in the Central timezone, but it will likely qualify as my last post of 2018 by the timestamp on my blog. 2018 was an interesting year for me - I met some important work and personal goals, so theoretically should have #noregrets, but the accomplishment of those goals happened by abandoning most of my writing and accidentally deprioritizing a lot of relationships. I didn't intend for either of those things to happen - but things got ridiculous at the day job this spring, and it's like I blinked and discovered it was December, and have no memory of how I got here.

Of course, I do have memory - and there are some great ones from this year. I did a lot of traveling in 2018, and had some amazing times with friends and family in multiple states (and with Dom Perignon in Paris, who is almost like family). I'm happy that I moved to Colorado, which is a great state (you should all move there). And I do actually like my job a lot, which is why it's sucked up so much of my energy this year.

But for 2019, I would like to rebalance my life - more writing, more friendships, more community in Colorado, more family (and family time), more kettlebells. I would also like to write a couple of books, buy a house, and take a vacation that involves neither writing nor family (no offense to anyone involved in either of those activities, but I need to recharge occasionally). And if I can do all of that while still feeling decently fulfilled in my job, that would make for a pretty great year.

As for today - it was all pretty uneventful, although [censored] won at Ticket to Ride: Europe yet again. I watched some tv with my mom after, and then [censored] and I rang in the new year by watching a replay of Johnny Carson's 1975/76 new year's eve broadcast (weird). Yes, I'm hermity, and no, I don't care.

Now, though, I need to go to sleep, dream of the new year, and wake up relatively early so that I can pack and prepare for my return to Colorado. Happy new year to all of you, and I hope you have a great 2019!

No comments: