Tuesday, December 25, 2018

feeling that it's gone can change your mind

Merry Christmas! I had a very lovely day in ye olde Iowa - it started slightly later than planned because I slept through my alarm (my body apparently decided that waking up at seven a.m. was barbaric, although my parents get up at four, so this was a compromise). However, I bolted awake at 7:22, so we weren't too far behind schedule. The 'schedule' consisted of our usual opening of stockings and gifts, which was initially interrupted by Gram calling every five or ten minutes until we unplugged the phone.

After that, it was all smooth sailing. We all got our usual assortment of things that no one else was interested in - my mom mostly got garden/kitchen stuff, [censored] got a lot of tools, and my dad got train collectibles. My haul was primarily cookbooks, fountain pen/ink accoutrements, a new corkscrew and some thermos-style wine glasses, and a variety of tools that [censored] picked out for me. I also got a set of vintage copper-colored canisters that matched the set my grandma always had on her counter, which is pretty cool. [censored] got Gram's set today (which had gone out to Colorado and back courtesy of Aunt B), but they're pretty indistinguishable from each other; my set came from the secondhand shop in town. I swear that it wasn't jealousy that caused me to accidentally throw one of [censored]'s lids in the trash while picking up all the wrapping paper. Luckily, [censored] realized it was missing tonight, since my dad had already taken the trash into town and tossed it into his business dumpster; so, [censored] was able to rescue it before the dumpster gets emptied in the morning. Christmas was saved!

We spent the rest of the day hanging out, relaxing, etc - unless you were my mother, in which case you made breakfast casserole and muffins, and then later made prime rib, all of which was delicious. We also played two games of Ticket to Ride: Europe, which was pretty unsatisfying for me since my dad won the first game and [censored] won the second.

And now it's time for bed - I hope that you all had a v. merry Christmas! Goodnight!

No comments: