Thursday, March 04, 2021

she wants a young american

Today was a bit bizarre. It started as normal and progressed as normal through most of the day - I had coffee, journaled, showered, had a whole bunch of meetings, ate tuna salad on toast (one of my go-to stress meals), had a whole bunch more meetings, and slogged straight until six in an effort to hit a deadline.

Luckily I hit the deadline just in time to switch my work laptop into a fun zone. I had a virtual wine tasting tonight with a group from work - it was something that one of the VPs I work with had auctioned off in a charity auction over the holidays, and I was one of the ten people who won the auction. She organized a virtual wine tasting that was actually quite lovely - I was sent a box with eight wines, each in a little individual bottle (187ml each, which is the equivalent of a six-ounce pour). The theme was Down Under, so all the wines were from Australia and New Zealand. The host was really fun, and the work group was as entertaining as it can be when you get together with a VP over video chat to drink wine for an hour.

I had not initially intended to open all eight wines since I probably can't drink them all before they go bad (well...seven glasses over the next three days or so might do it). But the tasting was fun, and I figured a couple of them wouldn't necessarily be ones I would want to finish, and I was right. I don't typically like syrahs, and the rosé was weird (it tasted like smoke because of the Australian wildfires, and it was not my jam). But the sauvignon blanc was great, the Australian chardonnay was surprisingly good, and there was a nice red blend + a pinot noir that I adored (so I finished the pinot after the tasting was over).

So all in all it was great, but I basically had the equivalent of three glasses of wine in an hour during the tasting, and while I have been drinking wine steadily in quarantine, it's usually more like one glass over three hours instead of three glasses in one hour. That meant I was tipsy, but I ordered some fancy pasta and pizza from Bar Dough to soak it up (thanks Tipsy Sara for ordering a nicer dinner than usual).

I wrapped up the night by leaning into the relaxation - I turned on Netflix and finally watched ALWAYS BE MY MAYBE, which I should have watched two years ago. It was v. funny and cute, and made me homesick for San Francisco, and I adored it. And now that the wine is out of my system and the yawns are starting, it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: