Sunday, March 28, 2021

there goes the last great american dynasty

I had a nice day in ye olde Iowa, although now I'm realizing it's late and I have to work tomorrow and I should perhaps be asleep right now. I slept in this morning, and then spent most of the day hanging out - Aunt Becky came down to see my dad, and she brought pizza ingredients from Graziano's + some frozen gluten free crusts that were pretty good. It was a gorgeously sunny day out, even though it's still chilly; a month ago it was negative 17 and the world outside was covered in relentless snow, but now the pond has melted and the grass is green and my mom's daffodils are blooming. All things shift; all seasons turn; and we ate homemade pizza and were clearly all missing my Uncle Mark, who used to be the one to bring pizza ingredients down from the city.

sssanyway. It was a nice afternoon, and I felt as relaxed as I'm capable of feeling when my dad is clearly in quite a bit of pain and his wound is so slow to heal. Eventually, Aunt Becky headed back to the city, and I watched some Yukon Gold (a weird reality show about gold miners in the Yukon) with my dad. Later, I drove into town to pick up takeout from the Mexican restaurant in town - they wrote a note to my dad saying they hoped to see him soon, scrawled on the side of a styrofoam cup full of queso, which was sweet. Then I finished off the evening by flipping my mattress (it had a Suez moment and got wedged awkwardly against the wall, but I refloated it), remaking my bed, and watching some American Restoration with my dad (this is a reality show about a guy in Vegas who restores things).

And now I need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: