Sunday, October 31, 2021

i didn't know i was lonely til i saw your face

I had an amazing day that was much longer than planned, and I'm probably going to be wrecked tomorrow, but #noregrets. The bay area has its problems, but it also has some of my favorite people in the world, and I saw a bunch of them today. I started it off right with a latte with Veronica and Adam, and then I got ready and drove over to Shedletsky's house. They had a babysitter (aka Tina's mom) for the morning, so we had a super fancy brunch at Madera (which I guess has a Michelin star, if you care about such things). It was long and leisurely and slightly boozy, which is like all of our trips and sleepovers together, so it was great to see them after many months separated by the plague. I really did not see this kind of fancy brunch coming when Shedletsky lived next door to me in college back in 2001, since at the time it seemed like he could be the Unabomber, but I guess it all worked out.

Then I left them and took a small break to myself to contemplate my book, and then I met Kristen for drinks in Redwood City. Kristen moved to California during the pandemic, so we couldn't do backyard hangouts in Denver... But we were able to sit on a patio and have rosé and gossip, and that was all wonderful.

Then, I drove back to Menlo Park and meet Joann, Jen, and Jane (the friendship renewal crew) for dinner at Farmhouse Thai. Menlo Park and Redwood City have both changed a lot since I was hanging out there in the early 2000s, and I suppose J/J/J and I have changed as well - we met in the same batch of start classes at work back in 2003, so we've known each other for eighteen years this month. That's impossible to fathom, but I'm deeply glad it's true. We had an excellent dinner there on the heated front porch, and it was so great to see them in person after many months of zoom calls.

Then, I had intended to be back at Veronica's at the civilized time of 9:30... But instead I got lured to the city of sin by Adit and Chandlord. We had a v low-key night in deference to our age... We hung out at Adit's for awhile, and then Priyanka went to bed and Adit, Vidya and I walked (well, Vidya hobbled) to Mothership. We had palomas on their back patio while looking at people's Halloween costumes and discussing covid, cancelation, handsome monkeys, and the origin of the phrase "cut from the program" (which my college friends say and can no longer remember why).

And now, I really desperately need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: