Friday, October 15, 2021

integrity, faith and crocodile tears

I took today off, but it didn't feel like a vacation because I attempted to get a million things done. This perhaps was wishful thinking, but I do feel like I accomplished a lot. I spent some time this morning starting to put together my new desk while drinking coffee - I'm not done, but I think I can finish tomorrow. Then I quickly showered (in my absurdly tiny master bath - seriously, the previous owner must have thought that bathrooms should never take more than the size of a portapotty, because the bathrooms are all nearly unusable) and came out to my parents' house to rendezvous with my dad. We drove over to the next town to finalize the deal on my dishwasher - I could never get them to call me back, but when I walked in the guy recognized me immediately, rattled off the number of what I was ordering, and confirmed delivery for next Wednesday. Of course, I won't be here, which unfortunately means my parents are taking the saintly step of dealing with it, but I'm excited that the dishwasher will get installed before Thanksgiving.

After that errand, my dad and I went to the grocery store (Mom suggested that we buy her some ham salad, but that wasn't a "suggestion" so much as it was a requirement of reentering her house). Then we stopped at KFC/Taco Bell and ate lunch in my car. We had a nice drive, all in all, and I think my dad understands the appeal of my Audi even if it's now three years old (hard to believe - but the last year and a half barely counts since I don't commute anywhere except from Denver to Iowa).

I dropped Dad off at home, picked some stuff up to take to town, said hi to Mom, etc. Then I went into town (the town where the grocery store is, not where my house is) and hit up a garage sale. This is not something I usually do, but I heard this one would be particularly good (for unfortunate reasons) - someone's sister died somewhat unexpectedly out in the DC area and had no family there, so they hauled most of her worldly goods back here and have been having an epic garage sale. This worked out great for me - for $30 I scored a bunch of glasses, some square white appetizer plates, a pyrex baking dish, a utensil holder, a couple of Christmas candle votives, and (most excitingly) some Crate and Barrel dishes that match my current pattern. For some unknown reason Crate and Barrel discontinued the blush pink shade of my dishes early on (even though I can still get all the other colors) - but this woman had seven plates and six mugs, and I got them for $5 total. If I could find garage sales this good every day, I could furnish the place in no time. But sadly she had no lamps and no newly-finished bathrooms, so I'm probably going to have to keep looking elsewhere for some necessities.

sssanyway. Then I spent a few hours cleaning up my yard for winter, putting things away, installing some things, uninstalling other things (like the funky toaster that had been mounted under a cabinet), etc. I eventually came home, where [censored] showed up just in time for supper - my parents made bratwurst and french fries and baked beans, and it was delish.

And now, I should really sleep - I have another million things to do tomorrow, and I need to start heading back to Colorado at some point. Goodnight!

No comments: