Thursday, October 07, 2021

somebody's ripping you off, tryin' to sell you good news

Today was sort of my Friday, but I was way more productive than I normally am on Fridays. I had a few hours of meetings, and I did a bunch of other work, and all of that was fine enough. I also messed around with some house things - nothing too onerous, but I had to walk down the street to pay the deposit on my natural gas service. Since this is extreme #smalltownlife, the gas company office is only open two hours a week. The woman who works there also wasn't entirely sure what she had told me I owe for a deposit since she'd accidentally left her papers in her office in a different town, but we both assumed I remembered correctly. And they had started service without the deposit anyway - they know my dad, so I think they know I'm not a deadbeat.

At a different point in the afternoon, I also walked to the lumber yard - I was hoping to buy a fly swatter because I have one v. persistent house fly, but they didn't have any. The owner offered to loan me his, but that seemed like more trouble than it was worth. I picked up some paint chips so I can daydream about paint colors, but I don't know if I'll get around to any painting activities on this trip or not.

As you can tell, my house in town is walkable to all the local businesses - but since there are basically no local businesses, this is not as exciting as it might sound. But the lumber yard is fun, if you're into that kind of thing. And I can get chips or a coke zero whenever I need it, so that's in some ways better than Denver, where I don't have a convenience store nearby. But I can't get a margarita or a glass of wine or a book or a new outfit, so Denver still has some superficial advantages.

sssanyway. After I was done with work, I came home and hung out with my parents. They had gone to Des Moines today, but they beat me home - they had also had a late lunch at two p.m., so I'm pretty sure they ate just to humor me. We had leftover steak + some scrambled eggs, and I had a baked potato in the microwave, and it was all good. Then I took my dad into town so that he could drop some stuff off at his shop and I could drop off an office chair at my house - it got delivered to my parents' house today, and I'm excited to get my actual office set up this weekend.

Then we watched some episodes of a show about gold mining in the Australian outback, and then I worked for an hour and a half or so. And now I need to sleep so I can run a million errands tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: