Monday, October 04, 2021

it doesn't come from without, it comes from within

I'm falling asleep in my recliner in my bedroom in my parents' house, so you almost didn't get this post. But I wanted to document that I did my day job while sitting in my new Iowa house - packing up and going there this morning weirdly felt like the first day of school or the first day of a new job or something. Of course, it wasn't entirely glamorous - I was working from a folding table and chair in the dining room, and I had a peanut butter sandwich (with milk in a wine glass) for lunch. But I'm excited to get some projects done there and start figuring out how to turn it into a good space for future trips.

The first thing that had to happen to make the rest of it possible was internet - and that was installed in approximately five minutes, thanks to the two guys who showed up and took the former router (which they'd told the former owner to just leave behind) so that they could replace it with a new router. Since it's #smalltownlife, I knew or recognized both of them and they asked me how my dad was doing. Then I set up my wifi, did a couple of tings around the house, and then did some work.

My work day was not particularly onerous, although it was frustrating in parts. But I had a nice social chat with Heather (aka dear respected madam) at the end of it. I also got to watch the comings and goings at the convenience store next door, which was mildly entertaining. And my mom stopped by at the end of the day to check on me, so I got to hear my doorbell ring for a second time and that was exciting too.

Then I came home (to my parents' home) and mooched off them for supper - my mom made philly cheesesteak and french fries, and it was very delicious. I also watched some tv with my dad and chatted with both of them and heard sad stories and (possibly) tall tales. And then I came downstairs, did a bit of day job stuff, added some things to my shopping list, and kind of fell asleep. So now it's time for bed in earnest - goodnight!

No comments: