Sunday, October 03, 2021

hey, sleepwalker, don't you miss the way wildflowers paint the western hills?

I'm finally at the end of my most recent car journey - I have never taken three days and two nights to drive ten and a half hours, but the stops along the way were worth it. This morning, I got up, threw my stuff in my car, said goodbye to my sister and my younger niece, and headed southeast. I was only 2.5hrs from my parents' house, and I decided to stop at a grocery store on the way to pick up some basics and snacks so that I can sustain myself during work this week.

When I got home, I spent a little bit of time talking to my parents, and then we all went into town to check out my new house. I think it's going to be great - the structure is solid and it has been well maintained, so no concerns there. However, it was built in the 1980s and some of the fixtures and other choices are pretty dated; it also deeply needs a fresh coat of paint on everything, and I'm debating whether new carpet or other flooring should be part of that immediate refresh. The biggest question is whether I'm going to change anything structural - the bathrooms are awkwardly shaped / sized, and if I were going to redo something, that should happen before the paint/flooring do.

sssanyway. I got everything unloaded that I brought home with me, and I also moved several packages that I'd ordered from my parents' house to my new house. Then I had supper with my parents - my mom made french fries (from scratch, with lard, which are to die for) and baked beans, and my dad grilled bratwurst patties and hot dogs, and it was v. tasty. We also watched my niece's wedding, which I surreptitiously videoed - since my parents couldn't make it, I was glad they were able to see it via the wonders of modern technology.

And now I really must sleep - I have an appointment to get my internet installed tomorrow morning, and then I need to slog all day. Goodnight!

No comments: