Sunday, March 20, 2022

i step off the train, i'm walking down your street again...and past your door, but you don't live there anymore

This is only my fourth-ish healthy weekend, by my count, that I've been in Denver (and not recovering from covid or surgery) since late August. It's no wonder my house is kind of a mess and I'm feeling in deep need of some nesting. I could, perhaps, have done something fun today, especially since Chandlord is in town - but what I really needed today, and what felt better than going out, was taking care of some tasks, throwing some things away, washing my sheets and the guest room sheets, taking two naps, and reading a book. Also, my neighbor hired someone to pressure wash the house - I have not yet fully inspected the results, but they also pressure washed my patio, which is great because the fact that I was barely here last summer meant it was pretty neglected.

sssanyway, eventually I did rally and drive up to Longmont, where I met Sara and Caroline for dinner. Sara made a reservation at this new tiki restaurant that has taken over a former Outback Steakhouse, which made for a strange but entertaining vibe - when I walked in there was an overwhelming crowd, as would usually happen at an Outback Steakhouse in the 'burbs on a Friday night, but luckily Sara had secured our table and we had a delightful evening. My drink was served in an over-the-top tall mug in the shape of a tropical bird, and I had the Hawaiian fried rice (with ham and pineapple in it), and their fried calamari appetizer was gluten free, so that as great.

The three of us had much to discuss, so we took our time having those discussions over our meal. Eventually, it was time to part ways, so I drove home, got ready for bed, and spent the last three hours finishing reading DIRT, which is the memoir I started awhile ago about a guy who moved to France to learn from Lyonnais chefs. This, of course, is doing nothing to prevent my wanderlust; I want to disappear deeply into some sort of weird hobby and emerge several years later with a book and a lot of weird stories. And perhaps it's getting close to time to make that happen. But right now, I need to sleep so that I can seize the day tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: