Friday, March 11, 2022

the city by the bay, the city that rocks, the city that never sleeps

I had such a wonderful day - it's amazing how a random Thursday can be great when I am in San Francisco and don't have to work. I spent the morning getting ready, drinking cold brew, and journaling...and then I had a call with Alyssa, which was excellent. This week has been quite stressful, but time off is already helping me to decompress.

After I talked to Alyssa, I walked over to the Ferry Building, where I browsed and then got lunch (a gluten free BLTA) and snacks (a gluten free bear claw) at Mariposa Bakery. They are entirely gluten free, and it was nice to take my sandwich out back and people watch near the ferries. Later, I went to Yerba Buena Gardens, where I meet up with Jess for an extended chat in the afternoon sun. My beloved Samovar had been replaced (at least for now) by a pizza place, so we shunned it and just hung out on the lawn. It was a delight to see her, and I am v happy to hear that leaving her last company has gone so well for her. And we took a selfie with the Shaking Man statue, which always amuses me.

After we parted ways, I ran a quick errand at Nordstrom, came back to my hotel (which took too long because of a random fire at Fifth and Mission, which is par for the course there), changed, and then met up with Adit (some people call him the cat) at the
Embarcadero bart station. We took the train to the dirty east bay, where John picked us up at the station so that we could have an old school night out.

We started at North Light (after attempting to start at Snail Bar and discovering it was too popular), and it was perfect. My first cocktail was a Spice Runner, which was a refined, low-key tiki-type drink, and I adored it. My second drink was the Jaguar Shark, which was good, but Adit lured me into lapping up the topping (egg white, which is standard in a cocktail, and squid ink, which is definitely not) like I was a cat with a saucer of cream, and I've got to say that cocktails with squid ink as a topper aren't meant to be lapped. But maybe squid ink and caviar would be a nice way to step up future Olympics parties (certainly classier than just dumping black food coloring in a cocktail to represent the black Olympic ring), so perhaps I should experiment.

sssanyway. We talked about work and life and whether we would fight or evacuate if we were in Ukraine, and we ate some tots, and it was great. Claudia eventually was able to join us - I continue to be amazed and grateful (#gratitude) that Claude was my random freshman roommate and Adit/John lived next door to us and we're still friends over twenty years later.

We switched to a table then and ordered another drink so that we could talk about algebra and SATs and conspiracy theories, but our new table was cold, so we adjourned to Cholita Linda next door and had tacos (and margs for me and Adit, who weren't driving and won't be in peak physical condition tomorrow). Adit gave me a surprisingly earnest pep talk (surprising only bc he had said an hour earlier that gen z-ers give each other too much praise and then realize it's awkward to do it in person instead of on tiktok), and our overall convo was exactly what I needed.

Eventually, it was time to part ways, so we said our farewells (not for long, since I'll be back in April) and then Adit and I shared an Uber to the city of sin. And now I must sleep - goodnight!

No comments: