Saturday, June 04, 2022

i'm on a hovercraft to paris with my former best friend

The family reunion is over, and if I ignore the fact that we now have to spend two days driving back to Iowa, it was all pretty great. We started this morning off v. similarly to yesterday morning - I got ready and had breakfast in the hotel restaurant, which was totally adequate for a free hotel breakfast. Then, [censored] and Drewbaby and I drove out to the ranch together, with a v. necessary stop at Starbucks to fortify ourselves for the long drive through miles of scrub and rocks.

When we got out to the ranch, we were there fairly early, so I snuck away to a lounger by a small pool and hid from everyone so I could write for a little bit. My mom joined me there, so we had a nice catch-up before the sun got too hot. Then, everyone had lunch, followed by an afternoon of lazing about, playing more dominoes (I won this time, after spending more time strategizing and less time drinking than I did yesterday), etc. We took a break to go tour David and Melissa's house, which used to be Wendell's house - it's 'near' the reunion site, but back along the crazy long ranch road, so getting there took a bit of time. But it was nice to see how they've updated it - they have an amazing infinity pool and outdoor kitchen overlooking the ranch, and it was almost enough to convince me that I should make a lot of money and move to Texas (but that is almost certainly not the plan).

Dinner was excellent - my dad and Aunt B catered it from a barbecue place in town, and it was one of the best barbecues I've had. The brisket was great, although I was almost more into the sausage (that's what she said), and the potato salad and cole slaw were surprisingly excellent. And then we made our long, slow round of goodbyes, which also included hellos to people I didn't get a chance to talk to, as well as a rather entertaining intro to David's neighbor, who was v. excited about me and where I work even though I am not a celebrity for that (or, arguably, if I am a celebrity, it's for my writing career and not my tech career, but this guy is more into SEO than sexytimes, so I guess to each his own).

sssanyway, eventually we'd said all our hellos/goodbyes, and [censored]/Drewbaby/I drove back to town. This time others had cleared the path for us, so we only saw a few javelinas and a ton of deer. I left the reunion feeling like I would want to come again (since I always love it), although I probably would rather fly and not drive all the way to/from Iowa ever again. Hopefully, Future Sara remembers this and plans accordingly. And now, I should sleep so that we can begin our epic drive north tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: