Friday, June 03, 2022

and the thunder rolled

Day one of the reunion was a smashing success - although any reunion day in which we find the ranch on the first try without taking any wrong turns or hitting any animals is a good day. [Censored], Drewbaby, and I had breakfast at the hotel (and my parents joined us as soon as they were ready), and then we hit up a liquor store and a Starbucks before going out to the ranch. The ranch continued to be a trek to get to, since the 'driveway' is several miles long through a lot of hills and scrub and aforementioned animals.

However, we got out there with no issue, and spent the day hanging out. We've sadly lost a lot of people in the past few years since I was last at the reunion, but it's good that the people who came are still gathering. We had lunch, and hung out, and I introduced some people to aperol spritzes. Drewbaby and I also played an hours-long dominoes game with Julia (one of the last two remaining in my grandfather's generation), her son/daughter-in-law, and Lois (a cousin younger than me, despite the name). It's a little unclear who won due to some scoring irregularities, but it was a fun way to spend the afternoon.

There's really nothing else to report - I continued hanging out and chatting with various relatives, and then David made dinner (pork loin, salad, watermelon, baked beans, green beans, etc). And then [censored] did a masterful job of getting us out of the ranch in the dark without hitting any of the animals in our path - we saw a porcupine, multiple small and large javelinas, more deer than I can remember (including one with a very nice rack), a jackrabbit, a raccoon, a bighorn sheep, and possibly some other things that were missed in the dark.

And now, I need to sleep so we can repeat the fun tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: