Friday, September 29, 2023

the power of their source...the crystal

I had a lovely day, even if it did involve a lot of driving around the city of sin. I spent the morning in my hotel, where I packed up, ate a snacky-style breakfast, and did some work. I eventually grabbed my car and drove to South Park, which I have never, ever been to, to have lunch with Adit. It's nice to know that there are still parts of the city that can surprise me -- and also nice to know that there are parts of the city where I can park right in front of my destination (although I suspect this was a fluke).

Adit and I went to a Japanese place near his office, where I had a v. tasty spicy tuna and rice bowl and he had an egg sandwich that I was v. jealous of. Then we grabbed coffees and walked back to his office, where I had a too-brief run-in with Priyanka. It was nice to get an Adit encore after last night's dinner, and it was also nice to be in San Francisco on a warm, sunny day. I've known Adit for twenty-four years now, and I'm guessing we're going to stay friends??

After we parted ways, I drove back to my hotel to grab my bags, which I did not want to leave in my trunk because I thought it would tempt fate (aka robbers). This was painful, since I had to drive near Moscone during a conference, but I made it and then promptly escaped to the glorious south bay. I briefly went to Stanford, which I had not been to in ages - I didn't have a lot of time to walk around, but I bought a new sweatshirt, which I will wear while Stanford continues its slide into post-Pac-12 ignominy.

Then I checked into my hotel down here, changed quickly, and met up with Joann for a long dinner at Shana Thai. The service was weirdly terrible tonight, but it meant we had a couple of uninterrupted hours to catch up, which was v. welcome. We are on some parallel paths in various ways, but I'm glad that my parallel path doesn't involve working at her current employer (which is my former employer). It was great to hang out, and I could have kept going...

...but instead we parted ways, and I came back to my hotel and did a couple of hours of work in the lobby bar. And now, I'm going to go to bed since I have similarly fun plans tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: