Wednesday, September 06, 2023

take it as a warning

I was pretty lazy today - I'm still recovering from the mural festival, although I'm by no means done with it. Yesterday I did some stuff for it in the morning, and then drove east on a whim so I could drive past the new mural that was installed in our smallest town on Highway 2. The mural looks great, and after taking some pics for social media, I went on to the "big" town east of here to grab lunch and get some groceries. And I spent last night doing some complicated accounting to try to make sense of piles of money that volunteers had helpfully kept separate across three envelopes and a yogurt container - I think I figured it out, but it fried my brain for blogging.

Today was a bit more of the same - I slept in, then ran to town to look for some golf cart keys that we had misplaced (I was successful) and take a photo of the new mural on the side of the museum. Then I came home, showered, ate lunch, and went back into town for allergy shots. I reacted to them, but I'm still alive, so I guess that's okay.

Then I sped up to the tiniest town in the county because their mural was installed today and I wanted some pics for Facebook. I have literally never seen another person in that town (their population is 29) - but in the five minutes I was there to take a picture, I ran into a documentary filmmaker who was in town to see if he could find anyone to learn more about the place. He apparently has a grant and is starting to prep for a film about very small towns. More bizarrely / serendipitously, he also went to Stanford (MFA, not undergrad) and worked for my former employer, and we were both visibly shocked to have run into each other. So I sent him to the museum and told him that they would have info about the town, and I heard from the museum director later that she was able to intro him to the mayor that afternoon. It was a completely unexpected little twist of fate, but maybe he'll like the town (and the murals) enough to come back.

Then I came home, did some tings, opened a bottle of v. nice cabernet, and drank a glass while sitting on my balcony writing. This is the first time I've sat on my balcony (or wrote) in weeks, and it felt amazing to hang out there. At some point, I took a break and made rice and "thai turkey maidrite" (a dish using a premixed sauce packet, which is quite spicy; I added ground turkey, onions, and red pepper, and it was all pretty tasty.

Then I retreated to my room, made my bed with fresh sheets, and talked to Katie for a couple of hours. And now I really need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: