Thursday, March 07, 2024

the tiniest moves you make, watching the whole world shake

I'm in Iowa City for the night, which is a welcome switch-up from my usual routine. I haven't blogged about this, but my nephew had a pretty horrific accident while I was in Seattle - a car fell on him while he was working on it, and it crushed his chest pretty thoroughly. He's been out of the hospital for a bit, and seems to be doing shockingly well considering how badly he was injured - but since he was up for a visit, I decided to drive up to see him.

Since I'm not a morning person, and since I hadn't packed anything last night or finished tings I needed to do, I didn't leave home until noon, which put me at his house around three. His wife works from home and their toddler was down for a nap, so I got to catch up with them pretty thoroughly for a couple of hours. Their older daughter got home from school in time for me to see her too, and all in all it was a v. nice visit. Hopefully he continues to improve, and hopefully I'll see more of them in the next few months.

Then, I drove over to his sister's house to give her some moving boxes, and she and her husband and I had dinner in Iowa City. We went to Basta, which had a v. nice gluten free pizza and a nice cabernet franc from Scarpetta, which is a wine company owned by the same guy who owns the nicest Italian restaurant in Boulder (and my personal fave Pizzeria Alberico, which used to be Pizzeria Locale). We had a lovely time catching up over dinner, and it was nice to be able to walk to my hotel after (even if it was raining the whole way).

After dinner, I settled into my room, but I was too wiped out to do any writing that I had intended to do. And now it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: