Sunday, October 06, 2019

battle hymn of the republic

Apologies to my regular readers - I haven't been getting nearly enough sleep, and my parents are in town for the weekend, so I have less urgency to blog because they know that I'm alive. They're leaving tomorrow morning and then it's back to the grind (for a few days, until I leave on a two-week odyssey to Tahoe and Berlin, which are usually not combined into one trip).

So, let's recap. On Friday we went to Boulder, where we saw my old apartment and the Hotel Boulderado, and then had a tasty lunch at my office. Once we were done with exploring my Boulder haunts, we drove to Golden and visited the train museum - there were a ton of trains there, as you might expect, and also some garden rail exhibits, and so a good time was had by all. We then dropped by a train hobby store, as well as a garden store, before coming home and relaxing for a few minutes. Then we took an uber to LoHi Steakbar - I'd never been there, but it always looked cute from the outside. It turns out to be quite tasty - we all had flatiron steaks and fries, and split a pork belly hash, and I was pretty happy with the end result.

Yesterday we did some more sitting on my patio (my patio got excellent use this trip) and some more exploring. First we had brunch at Bacon Social Club - I went there with Ritu Rani a couple of years ago, when it was newish and relatively slow - but now it's a destination, and there were like fifty people waiting for tables when we got there. Luckily I'd made a reservation, so we waltzed right in and at a whole lot of bacon (yum). Then we drove down to Union Station, where I showed my parents the station, and then I went to Whole Foods to stock up on stuff to make dinner.

Then we came home and spent the afternoon doing house stuff while I cooked - I made chocolate pots de creme, and a v. tasty instant pot beef stew, so that we could have Katie over for dinner. Unfortunately her family had to bail because Anne had a fever, but Katie came over and proceeded to virtually stay the night. We had dinner and then adjourned to the patio, where we hung out from approximately 7:30pm to approximately 2am. I can't believe we were out there that long, especially since it was so cold - but obviously the blankets I bought for the patio were #worthit. Eventually, though, the fun had to end, and so I got Katie an uber and then came upstairs to crash.

That made today a little painful - I wasn't exactly hungover since I had paced myself with the wine, but getting less than four hours of sleep always does me in. Still, I had to rally to get some stuff done - my dad and I had an epic adventure to figure out how to blow out my sprinklers, since it's going to freeze later this week and I wasn't sure I could drain them myself. We ended up going to Home Depot (my dad only got one trip to Home Depot this weekend, unlike when [censored] was here in August and we practically lived there), where we bought an air compressor and some other random tings. Then we came home, ate some breakfast, and then messed around with setting up the air compressor, and then figuring out how my sprinkler system worked, and then blowing out all the zones with the air compressor. It was overall fairly straightforward, and I took comprehensive notes, so hopefully a) nothing breaks this winter and b) I can refer to my notes to blow out my sprinklers myself in the future. We also played around with my leaf blower, and I think it's safe to say that I'm officially a home-owning adult with real home-owning problems.

But when we were finally done with our main chore for the day, the three of us went to the Denver Botanic Gardens. I hadn't been before but now I want to get a membership - the grounds were amazing, and I could see a lot of joy in going there to write in the garden cafe. We walked around a lot of it, and now I just want to plant all the plants, but I know that's probably not the wisest idea.

Then we came home, rested a bit, and then I made supper (pork chops, green beans, baked potatoes, leftover pot de creme from last night). And now it's barely ten, but I'm going to sleep - I need to bid my parents farewell and also work tomorrow, and sleep is crucial for all of that. Goodnight!

No comments: