Monday, October 28, 2019

hold me now, i'm six feet from the edge and i'm thinking

I stayed home from work today, which was probably a mistake because tomorrow's weather looks like it will be even worse. But I didn't really have much choice - I had to be home this morning to greet my painters, who arrived to make all my fixer-upper dreams come true (okay, my house is not a fixer-upper, I am just vain and don't like beige). Their speed is really making me retroactively regret the time I spent painting my office myself - in six hours today, they painted my entire living/kitchen/back entry/laundry room, twice. They did a really nice job so far, although they covered the least offensive (aka least beige) part first, so I'm even more excited to see tomorrow's progress.

However, I didn't actually watch them all day - I had to work, so I spent the day holed up in my office. I took a break this evening, talked to my parents, and also talked to Katie. And I made a v. tasty ribeye to go with the potato soup I made last night - the ribeye method I tried tonight worked really well (let the steak sit on the counter for 45min to take the chill off; preheat the oven to 450; get an oven-proof skillet really hot on the stovetop; rub the steak in salt, pepper, and olive oil; sear for one minute on each side; pop in the oven and bake for 4min on one side and 3min on the other; let rest while the soup reheats). This came out a perfect medium rare, nice sear, and some smoke but not as much as putting oil in the pan or letting it pan-cook longer. Since I don't have a grill and it's also super cold out, this method will do.

Unfortunately, I had to do a couple of hours of work tonight, so I did that while listening to a v. 90s playlist and enjoying my fireplace. And now I need to sleep - I want to go to the office tomorrow, but the weather looks treacherous, so we'll see. Goodnight!

No comments: