Wednesday, December 25, 2019

don we now our gay apparel

Merry Christmas! I had a pretty lovely day in ye olde Iowa, although it felt like bizarre-o Christmas because it was 60+ degrees and sunny, and also we were missing people but it almost didn't feel like they were missing because we historically didn't do things on Christmas Day with most of the rest of the family anyway.

But the day was still pretty nice. I set my alarm for seven and discovered that I was the last person up by a mile (even though I could have slept another hour). We did our usual slow unwrapping of presents, and everyone got some pretty great stuff - it turns out that when I'm going to drive, rather than fly, I get much bigger and heavier stuff (like an ice scraper for my sidewalk that is as tall as I am, or some Crate and Barrel hauls that would be v. annoying to have to ship back). I also got a couple of cookbooks that I'm eager to try, a drill to continue feigning capability as a homeowner, a mug that lists all the main attractions in my hometown and includes my neighbor (Lorena) as a key attraction in the middle of a list of buildings (I agree with that sentiment), a stock pot, and some other fun gadgets and gizmos for cooking, gardening, homemaking, etc.

So now the trick will be spending enough time at home in 2020 to actually put those things to good use - we'll see what happens!

After we unwrapped all our gifts, we ate brunch (breakfast casserole, gluten free blueberry muffins, ambrosia), relaxed a bit, etc. I ended up taking a nap, as did most other people in the family (other than my father, who industriously went to wash his truck, which is never possible on Christmas Day). I spent a rather desultory afternoon messing around online, and then the family played Ticket to Ride (my dad won, edging out my mom). Supper included a 22lb ham (we have some leftovers, lol), scalloped potatoes, and baked beans, and it was all v. tasty.

And now, I really need to sleep - Aunt Kathy and Drewbaby are coming down tomorrow, so I need to get my game face on for whatever fun we might have in store. Goodnight!

No comments: