Sunday, December 15, 2019

rescue me with a little whiskey

Fun fact: this is my 5118th blog post. Not exactly an anniversary, but I missed saying anything on my 5000th post, so this will have to do. I realize that this has been a supremely bizarre exercise in (edited more than you probably know) self-reflection, capturing most of my life since 2004 in a way that almost no one is doing in the blogosphere anymore. So thanks to those of you who've been around the whole time. Thanks to those of you who have dipped in and out. Thanks to those of you who became friends with me long after this began and didn't ditch me when you discovered that this is what I do. And thanks to that random person who used to read every day from Ohio [analytics tells me states/IP networks like Comcast, not individuals, just fyi], then occasionally hit me up from a hospital network in Ohio, then disappeared completely (I have no idea who it was, but thinking about that stranger makes me sad since I can only assume they're dead - unless they recovered and vowed not to spend so much time reading my blog).

sssanyway. I guess I'm going to keep going with this blog thing since I'm in too deep to stop now. Today was not particularly noteworthy, although it was really nice. I slept in a bit, then drank coffee and journaled by my fireplace and felt like I was living my best life. Then I talked to [censored], who did his best to deflate my good mood, but I did not rise to the bait of our usual sibling antagonism (but ignoring [censored]'s attempts to annoy me felt like its own kind of antagonism - which is pretty much the definition of siblinghood).

sssanyway again. I then spent multiple hours doing stuff around my house, for the first time in forever, and it felt pretty great. I tidied everything up, which wasn't too hard since I usually keep things pretty neat. I also hung up the fake buffalo head that I ordered for my downstairs powder room - it looks great above the toilet, and certifies me as an urban hipster. I wrapped 50' of garland and a couple of strings of lights around my stairway banister, which was a last-ditch effort to make it feel like Christmas in here since I didn't get a tree. I put out a bunch of candles, finished putting back all the stuff I packed up when the painters came a couple of months ago, and put out a couple of other holiday-type things. Then I showered, took out the trash, and talked to my parents to solidify Christmas plans.

And then, I took a break and was also rewarded for tidying and decorating - Morganne and Kristen came over for pizza and wine, and my place looked cute and well-kept (rather than looking like a dumping ground for luggage, which is what it has looked like between my trips recently). We grabbed pizza from Blue Pan and ate it around candles in my dining room, and it was all fun and lovely in the best way. They caught me up on what I missed from the holiday party, and we generally gossipped and had a good time.

And now, I should probably sleep so that I can tackle the week - goodnight!

No comments: