Friday, December 20, 2019

sweating all your sins out, putting all your thoughts back together

I'm lying in a too-hard bed in Kearney, Nebraska (home of the Archway Museum, one of the very very many gateways to "the west"). Today went as smoothly as it could have, although I woke up at six (after five hours of sleep), started stressing about something at work, and didn't really sleep again. That was unfortunate, and is why I'm in Kearney instead of Lincoln.

But I drank coffee, journaled, showered, packed my car, and got to my office in time for a meeting, so it all worked out. I did a couple of hours of work, and then snuck out for a fancy lunch with Nicole - we work together and could have eaten free food, but instead we celebrated the end of the year with salads and sauvignon blanc at River and Woods. The office was totally dead today, so this was a great day to catch up a bit without feeling rushed.

Then we went back to the office, I did another hour of work, and then I headed east. Northeast, at first, since I had to cut across the northeast corner of Colorado (which makes it sound fast, but it takes a couple of hours). I didn't really stop to eat, other than some fries and coffee in North Platte and some Doritos from a stash of snacks in my car. Instead, I entered a meditative fugue state, fueled by caffeine and music and some snippets of an audiobook about Princess Margaret.

Now, though, I really need to sleep - I need to be out of here by seven so I can make it to lunch in Des Moines, so it's time for bed. Goodnight!

No comments: