Tuesday, December 24, 2019

i am an idiot walking a tightrope of fortune and fame

Merry Christmas Eve! Today was pretty lowkey - my mom has a cold, I feel like I could succumb to it, and we were all generally housebound. Some of us escaped for various errands; in my case, I went into town to make a grocery store run before everything closed early. I'd completed my grocery run and had swung through the cemetery to say hi to Gram and Granddad before heading home - but then I got an urgent request for more oranges. I made it back to town with ten minutes to spare before the grocery store closed, and so my dad was able to finish making ambrosia for tomorrow's breakfast. This is a Christmas tradition - he doesn't make it any other time of year due to the effort involved, since it requires meticulously cutting out sections of grapefruits and oranges (and then adding some bananas for good measure). But I'm looking forward to tomorrow's batch!

When I got home, I ended up making supper (you know my mom isn't feeling well when she delegates the kitchen). I made my grandma's traditional Christmas Eve lasagna - this is what we always used to eat when I was little, since we always celebrated Christmas Eve at Gram and Granddad's. It wasn't so traditional this time since we used gluten free lasagna noodles; also, it turned out way less saucy than hers, which makes me wonder if something is off about the recipe we have. But it was still pretty tasty, and I made some gluten free garlic bread to go with it, so that was all nice. And Mom had made a pineapple upside down cake before succumbing to her illness, which was also great.

Then [censored] and I adjourned to the basement, where we had to finish wrapping a bunch of gifts for tomorrow. And now I should sleep and hope that this isn't actually a cold coming on - goodnight!

No comments: