Friday, November 26, 2021

no colors anymore, i want them to turn black

Today did not go as expected, and I am choosing to find it hilarious rather than admitting that it's actually not, in fact, hilarious. [censored] and I had grand plans to paint today, and [censored] had already taken down blinds and removed outlet covers, etc. when I got up. I made some coffee and started taping trim, and all was going swimmingly...

...until [censored] went to the basement for something and discovered that my hot water heater had died and sent a river of water across the basement. Of course, the river did not go to the floor drain because that would be too easy; it mostly headed for the corner where [censored] had stored some stuff. Luckily it only got a few boxes wet; unluckily, some of those boxes were books. But also luckily, [censored] discovered the problem before anything got worse, and was able to shut off water to the house and prevent a catastrophe.

So this, of course, changed today's plan. [censored] and I pushed the water to the drain (using a long-handled squeegee broom helpfully left by the previous owner, as though he's had water down there before....). Then we went to our parents' house to shower and eat, which restored a bit of my mood. Then we went to the lumber yard, where I picked up more paint chips while [censored] loaded up a water heater in his truck. I also established an account at the lumber yard so that I can just charge stuff and they'll bill me later - this is a nice thing about #smalltownlife, since 1) I established the account just by giving them an address (but that was probably easier bc they know me and my family), 2) now [censored] or I can charge house stuff there and I get an itemized bill at the end of the month without having to track what I'm spending on each project every time I go in. Store accounts used to be all the rage - the convenience store I worked at in high school allowed store charge accounts, so people could just sign a ticket and pay the bill later. But I don't think they're a thing in the coastal elite places I have spent most of my adulthood....

sssanyway. [censored] is a complete boss when it comes to home improvement projects (and also, strangely, has a master plumber license despite never having been a plumber), so he drained my old water heater, hauled the new one down to the basement, and is in the process of hooking it up + fixing some other plumbing weirdness while he's at it. While he did that, I kept prepping for painting, which will happen someday. We took a break to go to Mom and Dad's for supper - leftover Thanksgiving was just as tasty as original Thanksgiving. Then we came back into town, and [censored] did more plumbing stuff while I started prepping the living room for paint + measured all the windows for new window coverings (which will have to happen someday, unless future guests want to sleep in a guest room with the previous owner's red chiffon saloon/bordello sheer curtains).

And now, I should really sleep - I'm useless with the plumbing projects, but I'm hoping to paint tomorrow even if [censored] isn't available to contribute to that cause because he's doing other even mightier causes. Goodnight!

No comments: