Friday, November 05, 2021

i need to be where you are for no reason at all

I'm still absurdly tired after my epic trip to the west coast, but I'm starting to feel slightly recovered. I had a really nice day today - I slept later than I planned, but work was less onerous than usual ("no meeting Friday" = "four hours of meetings"). So I had time to eat some leftover chili for lunch, and I also walked down to St. Kilian's to buy some delicious cheeses and salamis and other tasty victuals for a girls' night in with Katie.

The excitement of knowing that she was coming over made it hard to focus on work, but I kept going until around five (with a brief stop to introduce myself to my new neighbor). Then I placed a grocery order - Whole Foods' move to start charging $9.99 even to Prime members clearly cut their demand dramatically, because I placed the order at 5:30 and was able to get an 8pm delivery. Paying for delivery was #worthit so that I would have food for breakfast tomorrow + food to cook the rest of the weekend without wasting time on a grocery run, so we'll see what I end up making.

Katie came over a little after 5:30, and I assembled a delightful charcuterie plate (which I am so delighted by that I have decided to embed a picture for those of you who don't follow my stories on the 'gram).











We hung out for several hours, and we drank a bottle of Sangiovese from the stash that I bought at the winery during Nathan's birthday party this summer - I'm happy and deeply relieved to report that the bottle of wine was great, which is good news since I violated the cardinal rule of not ordering wine from wineries after already getting intoxicated (the cardinal rule is in place after too many bottles purchased after the second winery of the day, none of which were ever as good as my blitzed palate thought they were).

So, Katie was in great form and we had a fun evening in - it was way more relaxing to sit on my couch than it would have been to go out, although I worry slightly about whether I'll ever recover the extroversion / ability to go out every night that I possessed pre-pandemic. And now, I should really sleep - there are a million things I want to do this weekend, and sleep is necessary to start the pursuit of all of them. Goodnight!

No comments: