Tuesday, July 26, 2022

i hear a thousand songs but you're the only melody

Okay, so I have a second major life update (separate from quitting my job): I'm also selling my house in Denver. This has, of course, also been in the works for a few weeks - I decided to list it around the same time that I ended my leave of absence, and it has been a whirlwind since then. Of course, the market decided to soften approximately when I decided to list, which was unfortunate timing. However, my house is in a pretty perfect location and very little comes up for sale right here, so, luckily someone decided to buy it.

That means the last few weeks have been a bit of chaos - the house had to be staged, and shown, and then inspected and appraised, all of which caused intermittent interruptions in my usual life. But we're through all of the main steps and everything is looking good, so fingers crossed the deal closes as expected.

This has, of course, been a rather tumultuous decision (and it feels appropriate that I'm writing this in a sudden, dramatic thunderstorm. Or, perhaps the better word to use is bittersweet. I've realized over the course of the past few months that my house no longer brings me joy - I spent so much time isolated in my house over the past couple of years that I don't really want to be here, even if it is functionally just right for my needs. And, unfortunately, I didn't really build a community in Denver, beyond Katie and several (lovely) coworkers. So it's bittersweet in the sense that I'm ready for a change, but I will never know what could have been if I'd moved here and then been able to settle without a pandemic throwing everything into disarray.

But these are feelings to process another time. Right now I'm consumed with moving - I wasn't able to do much packing while it was staged + while I was wrapping up at work, but now I have a week (well, six days) to pack before my movers show up. I'm taking everything to Iowa, which will be an adventure in an entirely different vein. I'm trying my best to purge stuff here before I move, but I don't purge well...so we'll see.

Today, though, was pretty good - the appraisal was this morning, so I took advantage of the fact that I had to vacate anyway to get a mani/pedi. Then I came home and alternated between procrastinating and packing - I did pack 12 boxes of books + several other boxes in my office, so I think I can wrap up office packing in the morning. I also sold my living room rug to someone who came to pick it up, and I think I'm selling my couch to a girl I know who works with me and also lives a few blocks away (she came to inspect it, but since she'd been in my house before she knew she could trust buying a used couch from me). Selling stuff to (former) coworkers is ideal because I can pretty much trust that they'll pay and also not murder me, and I think I've lined up people for just about everything I listed.

And now, I should sleep - my blog is going to be real boring with packing the next few days, but I'm excited to get it done. Goodnight!

No comments: