Saturday, July 23, 2022

this car drives all by itself

I'm in ye olde Iowa, after a fairly uneventful trip. This was the same flight I took here three weeks ago, but I'm only staying until Monday night - I'm here purely to pick out cabinets, which means I'm looking at swatches in various lights today and tomorrow and then meeting up with the kitchen person on Monday to finalize my choices. I kind of regret coming just for the weekend since I have a million things to do in Denver right now - but once I get back there, I can hermit to my heart's content and order takeout / perhaps see some of the people I didn't really get to say goodbye to at work.

sssanyway, I got to the airport early enough to have a proper breakfast, and then I slept most of the way to Des Moines. [censored] picked me up and we made a stop at a home improvement store to get some stuff for my house; I am capable of paying for things but not capable of lifting things over pickup tailgates, so I was perhaps only marginally useful for this errand. But we got what we needed, and [censored] only [censored] a little bit, and then we drove to southern Iowa. Along the way, we stopped at Taco John's - the one we went to has the weirdest drive-through I've ever seen (a u-shape that is v. difficult to navigate), but I was v. pleasantly surprised by my Super Potato Olés (basically nachos but with tater tot rounds instead of chips), and also happy that they were gluten free.

It's a million degrees here, so we didn't feel like doing much after getting back to my house. We did run out to the parents' house to say hi, drop off sweet corn, and pick up the cabinet samples that my mom had graciously retrieved for me. Then I made some cold brew coffee, took care of some tings, took a brief nap, took a brief shower, and ran to get a few groceries. Eventually, we had dinner with the parents - my mom made sweet corn (the first I've had this season, and it was great), and my dad grilled brats and hot dogs, and it was all tasty. There was also leftover pineapple upside down cake for dessert, so I'd say I got my carbs in for the day.

I then spent the rest of the evening saying that I needed to do stuff / sleep while instead watching YouTube videos with [censored]. But I came up to my office an hour or so ago and actually did do some tings, so at least I have that feeling of mild accomplishment to lull me to sleep. And now it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: