Friday, July 22, 2022

if you're holding your breath it's no wonder it's yet to find you

Today was my de facto last day of work (although I still have corp access for another week). It was a bit of a bizarre way to go out, as so many departures have been during the pandemic - I worked from home rather than driving to Boulder, and it really didn't sink in that today was my last day because I just took care of some standard tasks and had a few meetings and didn't really change up my usual Friday work from home routine.

Of course, it will sink in soon, and it was sinking in during the last meetings with people this week when hanging up the videoconference carried an extra bit of weight. And while today's meetings were mostly bittersweet, and while most people are casually assuming I'll be back at some point, I'm feeling completely delighted by my decision to leave. It's the right time and the right move, at least for now, and I can't wait to get through the rest of my upcoming transitions and get cracking on my book.

But the book is a story (ha) for another time. After I was done with work today, I alternated between taking care of house tings and relaxing - house tings are pressing, but I'm also tired, and I'm sure there are emotions bubbling beneath the surface that are making me want to sit on a couch with a glass of wine rather than doing other, more useful tasks. But I did fix a couple of minor tings around the house, sell a bookshelf to a coworker, mess around with some office organization, etc. And I packed for tomorrow - I'm taking a v. brief trip to Iowa to finalize some cabinets for my remodel there, so while I had v. little to pack, I still needed to get ready so that I can go to the airport earlyish tomorrow.

And now, I should sleep - goodnight!

No comments: